In 1948, Steamboat Springs' Police Chief Everett Bristol's new hotel carried its builders name. Like other Americans, he took advantage of access to building materials not available during WWII.
As the Bristol matured Harold and Irene Killham took over as new owners and added a lobby and parking lot. Their family was to guide the hotel's direction for the next quarter century, managed by daughter and son-in-law Sam and Joan Graione. Almost overnight the new Steamboat Ski Area changed the Bristol from a hotel where traveling salesman enjoyed Irene Killham's home-made pies to an "in demand" lodge for the regions influx of seasonal visitors. Both Frontier Airlines and Continental Trailways helped bring some 200,000 winter skiers to a town with a total of only 1,000 available rooms.
Through the 80's a succession of Bristol owners followed the Killham family's departure. In 1994, the hotel was purchased by Andy Van Baak. For three years they worked to change the previous owners' lingering "bed and breakfast" facade.
Where back in the 50's, a pool hall had entertained locals and through the 60's geologists pored over rock samples on display from nearby molybdenum mines, Mazzola's has transformed Hotel Bristol's lower level into a spacious and friendly dining room.
Finally on May 1, 1997, Hotel Bristol returned to Lincoln Avenue, renamed and redecorated, a tribute to Steamboat's past.
"The gentleman at the desk was most helpful..."
~ Karl - Portland, OR